- Welcome to save your effective search queries so that you don't lose them, or to contribute your effective queries and help others!
- This is a Wiki dedicated for creating, storing and sharing High Quality Structured Queries.
(To edit or create a page, you have to Register through an invitation and Login first.)
1. Search for the page title first, make sure the page does not yet exist. Look for the search box in the navigation menu located on your left hand side.
2. When no page title matches your search query, click on the create the page red link on the search result page.
3. Enter your query into the long search boxes at the top of the editing interface,
3.1 the content in the large text box below will automatically change according to the content you enter into the search boxes on the top
3.2 you can find search results against the search engines (Google and Altavista) as you are entering your query
4. Enter more details about the query in the main text box, (enter only after the automatically generated content)
4.1 for example, describe why you want to search for this topic, or how knowing the relevant information may help you solve a practical problem/task, what relevant results do you expect to see, or even what results are not relevant. See an example page here.
5. Remember to save your edits
The section above only explains the usage of the website, however, if your goal is to achieve excellent search performance, and/or to create high quality queries, here is a simple guide for that.
Search for a query
To search for it,
1. Enter keywords into the search box on your left hand side, click Go
1.1 Results will show up in the center of the screen
2. If you find a relevant match, click on the result to follow into the page,
2.1 If you are logged in, you can edit the pages by clicking on the edit tab on the top of every page
3. If you cannot find a page that fits your search need, you can create a new page for your search need/query (see also instructions from the section above).
Invite a new user
To invite more people to contribute queries to this Wiki,
1. Login to your account, (login link is at the top right corner, if you are not logged in)
2. Click on invite others link, (top right corner)
3. Fill in the email address of your friend to send the invitation code to, and click the "mail invitation code" button.
3.1 Your friend will receive an email containing directions about how to create an account,
3.2 One invitation code will only work for one email address, thus one registration,
3.3 You can invite more than one friend,
3.4 Each invitation code expires in 8 weeks from the date of sending the invitation.
Access to the WikiQuery Website
- Everyone can read all the wonderful queries created by other users, and check out the high quality results returned by Google or Altavista.
- See all queries and pages on this website: List of All Queries and pages, or click the corresponding link in the toolbox on your left.
- In order to contribute - to create new queries or to improve existing ones - you have to be invited, register and become a confirmed user.
- As a confirmed user, you can create new queries, and also edit all of the content pages of this website (including this page) to make it better!
- To edit, simply follow the edit tab on top of each page.
Become a confirmed user
- If you have new structured queries to contribute to the site, you need to become a confirmed user first. To be confirmed, you have to be invited by another confirmed user and follow through a simple registration process. If you don't know of someone who can invite you, you may send a request to email@example.com, and someone will send you an invitation later.
- We restrict edit access to an experienced group of users, mainly because creating and maintaining high quality structured queries is not an easy job. We prefer to give out edit access only when the user shows understanding of the structured query creation process, or actually has good queries to contribute.
- Once you become a confirmed user, please feel free to invite other experts you know to join the website! (follow the invite others link at top of page, beside your username.)